- CAIT Main
- Infrastructure Areas
- Program Sites
- ANDERS - Automated Nondestructive Evaluation and Rehabilitation System
- BEAST - Bridge Evaluation and Accelerated Structural Testing
- CAES - Center for Advanced Energy Systems
- FMP - Freight and Maritime Program
- ICMP - Infrastructure Condition Monitoring Program
- IMG - Information Management Group
- LESS - Laboratory for Energy Smart Systems
- LPS - Laboratory for Port Security
- LTBP - Long-Term Bridge Performance Program
- NJ LTAP - NJ Local Technical Assistance Program
- PRP - Pavement Resource Program
- PSSP - Pipeline Safety and Security Program
- SAM - Structures and Advanced Materials
- SSML - Soil and Sediment Management Laboratory
- TSRC - Transportation Safety Resource Center
- TTG - Technology Transfer Group
Updates & Features
Meet the BEAST mini-documentary
A short documentary outlining the need for the BEAST and how it was born was screened at the NJDOT Research Showcase on October 28. Experts explain how it was designed and built, how it compresses time, and its potential impact on the lifespan of our nation's highway bridges.
UNVEILING AND DEDICATION
On October 14, 2015, CAIT unveiled the BEAST during a public event that included a dedication and ribbon cutting, demonstration, and tours. The event marked the beginning of a new era for infrastructure testing and evaluation. This one-of-a-kind laboratory is capable of inducing, measuring, and accelerating deterioration of bridge decks and superstructures. For the first time, bridge owners and builders have a virtual "crystal ball" into the future performance and lifespan of materials, elements, and maintenance, rehabilitation, and preservation techniques for our nation's aging highway bridges.
The BEAST unveiling was attended by approximately 100 people from government transportation agencies, private industry, academic research institutions, and the news media.
This massive project was created to tackle one of our country's incontrovertibly critical issues: decaying bridges. People are taking notice. The USDOT Office of the Assistant Secretary of Transportation-Research and Technology profiled the BEAST in its March spotlight, and last week the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation came to see it firsthand.
Watch an early animation showing how the BEAST will induce deterioration and fast-forward aging of full-scale bridge sections to give us data-based answers—in just months, instead of decades of real-time measures—on the best bridge designs, materials, and rehabilitation/preservation methods. (April 2015)
Soon to be up and running, CAIT's construction of world's first accelerated testing facility for full-scale bridges—the BEAST—caught the attention of the USDOT Office of the Assistant Secretary of Transportation-Research and Technology (formerly RITA) and was featured in their March spotlight newsletter. (March 2015)