- This event has passed.
2022 Work Zone Safety Conference
- April 7
- 8:30 am–1:00 pm
The New Jersey Work Zone Safety Conference promotes work zone safety awareness on local and state roadways for a multi-disciplinary audience of construction, engineering, public safety, maintenance and operations personnel.
This year’s online event will commence with a presentation by OSHA on Protecting Workers from Heat Illness and Injury. The keynote presentation will be delivered by Daniel Farley, a Professional Engineer from the Pennsylvania DOT and John Taylor, Esquire, from Archer & Greiner P.C. They will address Pennsylvania’s implementation of Automated Speed Cameras in Work Zones. A panel discussion will focus on the topic of Conflict Resolution followed by a presentation on Personal Protective Equipment. The conference will conclude with the State Police assigned to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority speaking about Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Concerns in Work Zones.
As part of the program, the New Jersey Work Zone Safety Excellence Awards will be presented to recognize inspiring efforts of individuals, companies and roadway agencies that have demonstrated effective temporary traffic control in planned work zones on New Jersey roadways.
Hosted by the Rutgers Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation (CAIT) and the New Jersey Work Zone Safety Partnership (NJWZSP), the NJWZSP is an ad hoc committee with the primary goal of promoting work zone safety education and awareness to reduce the number of road users and workers being injured or killed in work zones. The NJWZSP includes representatives from both the public and private sectors involved with work zone activities.
8:30 a.m. Opening Remarks
- David Maruca, Program Development Administrator – Rutgers CAIT
- Eric Heitmann, Director, New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety
- Richard Mendelson, Regional Administrator, United States Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Robert Clark, Division Administrator, Federal Highway Administration, New Jersey Division
- Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti, Commissioner, New Jersey Department of Transportation
9:00 a.m. “Protecting Workers from Heat Illness and Injury”
- Brian Crain, Compliance Assistance Specialist, OSHA
9:30 a.m. Break
9:45 a.m. Keynote Address: “Pennsylvania Automated Speed Cameras”
- Daniel Farley, P.E., Chief, TMSO Operations and Performance Section, PADOT
- John Taylor, Esq., Archer & Greiner P.C.
10:30 a.m. Presentation of 2022 Work Zone Safety Excellence Awards
10:45 a.m. Break
11:00 a.m. Panel Discussion: “Conflict Resolution in Work Zones”
- Frank Soos, Sergeant First Class, New Jersey State Police
- Gary Holsten, Sergeant First Class, South Brunswick Police Department
- Chad O’Connor, Corporate Safety Manager, IEW Construction Group Inc.
- William Gaus, Project Engineer, New Jersey Department of Transportation
- Chris Murphy, Traffic Control Coordinator, Driscoll Construction
11:45 a.m. “PPE in Work Zones”
- Robert Weissman, CSP, Safety Manager, New Jersey Turnpike Authority
12:15 p.m. “Commercial Motor Vehicles Safety Concerns in Work Zones”
- Ryan Kauffmann, Staff Sergeant, New Jersey State Police
- Charles Bowden, Trooper I, New Jersey State Police
1:00 p.m. Adjourn
3 PDH, DLGS CPWM: 3 Technical Contact Hours
Withdrawal Policy: In the event that you are unable to attend a program for any reason, please note you must submit your withdrawal in writing at least 72 hours in advance of the start of a program to receive a refund. If am emailed or faxed withdrawal is not received by our department, the full program fee will be charged and is nonrefundable. A phone call asking for withdrawal is not sufficient.