Governor Phil Murphy and NJ TRANSIT CEO & President Kevin Corbett unveiled NJ TRANSIT’s ten-year strategic plan entitled “NJT2030: A 10-Year Strategic Plan” and a complementary 5-Year
Capital Plan. Together, these plans provide the vision for the agency to build the future of transportation in New Jersey and with it, drive a 21st century economy in an accountable, transparent and environmentally-sustainable way.
“Before our current public health emergency, we made critical investments and undertook long-overdue reforms to NJ TRANSIT’s operations which have unquestionably improved reliability and performance,” said Governor Murphy. “To safeguard that progress, NJT2030 and the Five-Year Capital Plan put forward the vision for how NJ TRANSIT will address a decade-long period of disinvestment, and further transform the agency’s core business functions to regain the confidence of customers, stakeholders, and the communities it serves.”
“The issuance of NJ TRANSIT’s first Strategic Plan and the accompanying Capital Plan mark an important step in fulfilling Governor Murphy’s commitment to restore NJ TRANSIT to one of the nation’s leading public transportation agencies,” said New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner and NJ TRANSIT Board Chair Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti. “Together, they provide the vision and path to deliver a public transportation system that is safe, efficient and reliable for all our customers.”
“Through these plans, we will build on the significant progress we’ve already made, support our state’s economic recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic, and lay out a path forward for the next ten years,” said NJ TRANSIT CEO & President Kevin Corbett. “The initiatives and metrics within these plans hold us accountable to our customers and stakeholders, while guiding our actions and decisions that will deliver a modernized, best-in-class transit system for the people of New Jersey.”
NJT2030: A 10-Year Strategic Plan
As the first strategic plan of its kind for NJ TRANSIT, NJT2030 begins with a vision to transform the agency into an innovative, world-class public transportation provider that meets the travel needs of every customer.
To achieve that vision, NJT2030 establishes five over-arching goals:
- Ensure the reliability and continued safety of our transit system.
- Deliver a high-quality experience for all our customers, with their entire journey in mind.
- Power a stronger and fairer economy for all communities in the region.
- Promote a more sustainable future for our planet.
- Build an accountable, innovative and inclusive organization that delivers for New Jersey.
To realize these goals, NJT2030 includes deliverables within the first two years, in years three through five, and years six through ten of the plan. Highlights include:
- Improving on-time-performance
- Increasing service on the most congested bus routes
- Rail and Bus fleet replacement, including the advancement of our net-zero emissions bus program
- Upgrading Information Technology systems
- Station rehabilitations
- Improving accessibility to the system
Read more at NJ.Gov